Hi, I’m Maura! Welcome to Empower Your Wellness!
If you’re thinking There are thousands of health and fitness blogs out there, how is this one any different? Great question! You’ve come to the right place!
I started working as a physical therapist in outpatient orthopedics in 2007. So needless to say, I’ve been asked a lot of questions about staying active and injury prevention.
I’ve always enjoyed fitness and it was highly rewarding to help people get back to activities they love, with a newfound understanding of how to listen to their body and hopefully prevent future injuries.
In 2019, I launched Empower Your Wellness to take my show on the road and reach a larger audience.
The inspiration stems from fusing my knowledge of physical therapy, biomechanics, movement, and injury prevention with my experience in fitness to bridge a much-needed gap.
How do I like to stay active?
As a former competitive swimmer and diver, I needed fun and exciting ways to keep my fitness going.
Now, I’m a lover of fitness classes, keeping active with spinning, Bar Method, Yoga, Pilates, and other cardio based and weight lifting classes. If I’m on the go, I’m armed with plenty of virtual options.
Hit up my Resource page to see my favorites.
When I’m not exercising, I enjoy cooking, summer, and traveling with my husband.
Credentials (AKA What qualifies me to write this blog?)
- Doctor of Physical Therapy, Simmons University, 2007
- Certified Personal Trainer
- Certified Kinesio Taping Practitioner
- SCW Fitness certified Yoga I
- Certified Pilates Matwork Instructor
- Certified Group Fitness Instructor
- APTA Credentialed Clinical Instructor
- Currently working on 200-hour yoga teacher training
Advanced education in:
- Functional movement assessment and corrective exercises
- Lifestyle medicine
- Vestibular and Concussion rehabilitation
Here’s me on my paddle board!
Hanging out at aerial yoga
Lake Ohrid, North Macedonia
Skansen Museum and Zoo Stockholm, Sweden
Beep Beep! Thessaloniki, Greece